Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Beginning of a Battle

As a woman, I have had negative thoughts about my body (I am sure I am not alone). I know that there are some women who have heard people tell them that they were fat. These things happened to me. In this blog, I will share the battles I faced with a negative body image and show how I conquered them. I hope that my battles can help women start loving themselves. I hope men read this and learn how to treat women in their lives.

The first battle began as a 6-year-old.  My brother first pointed out that my tummy was rounder than most little girls. He would point out this “flaw” by poking me in the stomach and calling me the “Pillsbury Doughboy.” 
To him, this was harmless teasing, but to me it was hurtful. This teasing made me wonder why my stomach was so big.
My second battle began in grade school. I was 8 when one of my “friends” put her fingers around my wrist to see if I was “fat” or  “skinny.” When her fingers didn’t make it around my wrist, her verdict was “fat.” This was the first time I heard the label “fat."

After that, things only became worse. At a physical when I was 11, the doctor told my mom he was concerned with my weight. He recommended an appointment with a dietitian, but the recommendations only meant that I became more obsessed with my stomach.
My battles continued for 10 years. I won these battles by realizing that the term "fat" is nothing more than a demeaning term used by society to tell women they can't amount to anything. This realization helped me start to see myself as not "fat." I started to appreciate my body and everything it did for me. I started to view my body size in a more positive light. It was during this time that I started to discover tools to change my negative thoughts towards my body.
This isn’t the end to my story; it’s just the beginning. In this blog, I will share my coping tools with girls and women to prepare them to combat negative body image! If you like this story and you want to find out the tools that could help you or a friend, stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to follow your blog! I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful in your fight as a young girl! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed it! I am glad that I went through the experiences I did so that I can help more people conquer their own battles with negative body image. :) I didn't tell very many people what was going on in my mind. I love you!

    ReplyDelete